Frequently asked questions about sunless tanning:
1.) What are self tanners?
2.) How many days will a sunless tan last?
3.) How long should I wait after using a self tanner before showering?
4.) Will the spray tanning solution from a spray tan application come off my clothes and bed sheets?
5.) What equipment is used for a professional sunless tanning application?
6.)How long does a spray tan application take?
Question: What are self tanners?
Answer: All self-tanning formulas use an ingredient called dihydroxyacetone, or as most will refer to as DHA. This ingredient will create an appearance by developing a beautiful brown color on the first layers of your skin, as an end result, will be similar to a real tan achieved by increasing skin melanin levels through exposure to the Sun/UV.
DHA is limited to the upper top layer of the skin and is a reaction between DHA, skin proteins and oxygen, which will produce brown compounds. In most cases your development of color will take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours and will continue to darken through a 24 hour period to your final results. Your DHA color will last between 5 to 8 days and begin to fade as your top layer of skin naturally sheds. The length of your DHA Tan will depend on the personal care of the skin and how well you moisturize to prevent excessive natural exfoliation.
Question: How many days will a sunless tan last?
Answer: The life span of your sunless tan will depend on the the self tanning application process, the skin's natural exfoliation process, and the skincare regimen following your sunless tan application.
- If applied at home on self (lotions, aerosols/self spray on tans, mousse, etc), you can expect your tan longevity to last 3 to 5 days.
- If you receive a professional application (Automatic Spray Booths, Salon Airbrush, Professional Mobile Tanning, Airbrush/HVLP) you can expect 6 to 8 days using Sjolie Tanning Solutions.
Professional Application is the recommended process to receive a sunless tan. Professionals will tend to use a stronger DHA percentage compared to at-home products, giving you a higher quality tan. Most at-home self tanners use only 4-5% DHA strength, as professionals will use on average 9% DHA.
Following a solid skin care regime before and after your sunless tan application will extend your tan's longevity by days! Exfoliation before you tan your skin, then following the tan with daily tan extender lotions typically will extend your tan's life span by 30%.
Question: How long should I wait after using a self tanner before showering?
Answer: You should wait at least 6 to 8 hours prior to showering. The DHA ingredient will not react with your skin proteins if you bathe or shower before 6 hours, giving you a much lighter tanning result. If at all possible, we recommend waiting 10 hours or longer to achieve your best results. Tanning before noon, and showering before bed is the most common practice. Some people will tan before bed, however this can leave your bed sheets with a dirty color in the morning from the bronzer in the solution. The bronzer will wash out.
Question: Will the spray tanning solution from a spray tan application come off my clothes and bed sheets?
Answer: If you are using a spray solution with a cosmetic bronzer, you might experience that some of the bronze color will rub off on the clothing or bed sheets. To minimize the chance of the bronzer transferring to your clothing, we recommend that you always wear loose-fitting dark clothes. This will help hide any transferring of bronzer until you wash the clothes you were wearing. Refraining from physical exertion until after waiting 6-8 hours to shower will help minimize your transferring any bronzer to your clothes through sweating. Our solution bronzer is water-soluble and will, in most cases, wash out of your clothing or sheets once washed.
Question: What equipment is used for a professional sunless tanning application?
Answer: There are many different options when receiving a professional spray tan. There are three common applications of spray tanning. Each different application will have its pros and con's. It will be left up to you for what application is best for you.
- Airbrush Tanning Equipment: You will find that airbrush tanning compressors are much quieter than HVLP equipment, and has more personal touch to your spray tans(Body contouring, etc.). Airbrush can have downsides as the application time is sometimes twice as long as the normal HVLP application as it has a much smaller spray pattern(which is meant for detail). Airbrush tanning equipment is meant for single uses. If used for a party size (3 or more people in an hour) you will run into over heating issues.
- HVLP Tanning Equipment: HVLP machines are the work horses of the industry. You can handle more than 30 sprays a day with a mid size HVLP machine (an example would be a T700 Sun Mist) without worrying about overheating/overuse issues. Another benefit is that HVLP tanning equipment spray applications take typically 7 to 10 minutes to complete once you are comfortable with the tanning process, giving you opportunity to fit more clients into the schedule. The main downside to HVLP is the sound levels that typical HVLP machines produce. It can be sometimes be hard to carry on conversations with your clients if you are not using a machine like the TC3 Whisper Mist from Apollo which has sound reducing features. HVLP Machines are possible of body contour, although more difficult when compared with airbrush equipment.
- Automated Stand Up Spray Tanning Booths: The biggest benefit to booths are that you will not require a technician to operate the equipment. Clients who are extremely body conscious might prefer this option over HVLP or Airbrush applications. You will find the start up costs associated with spray booths are extremely high, and the personal touch is lost as you do not get a chance to interact with the customers using it. Customer retention will be much lower when compared with HVLP or Airbrush Tanning.
Question: How long does a spray tan application take?
Answer: HVLP Tanning Equipment will take anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes to complete a professional spray tan. There is more airflow, larger spray coverage on the body, giving you a much quicker application. Airbrush Tanning Equipment will take anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes for a complete professional spray tan. Automated Spray Booths can finish a spray tan within 3 to 4 minutes. These times are assuming the technician is fully trained and efficient.